E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old April 4th, 2014   #1
docsale

Default PRESET_PLAYBACK of a non programmed Scene

Hi,

what is supposed to do a responder device if the controller send a PRESET_PLAYBACK command with a Scene number supported but not programmed?

- Answare NACK_OUT_OF_RANGE and stays in the current status: probably this is the right behaviour if the Scene number is out of supported range
- Answare ACK and stays in the current status: in this case the controller doesn't see any error and thinks everything is ok
- Any other possibility?

If controller implements the E1.37 it should know if a scene is programmed throught PRESET_STATUS command, but only few controller are compliant with E1.37!

Any suggestion?
docsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2014   #2
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsale View Post
- Answare NACK_OUT_OF_RANGE and stays in the current status: probably this is the right behaviour if the Scene number is out of supported range
This is acceptable behavior.

Quote:
- Answare ACK and stays in the current status: in this case the controller doesn't see any error and thinks everything is ok
This is not a good idea. It can confuse the user if they tell it to change presets, but nothing happens.

If it were my product, I would probably have a default look recorded into every scene. This way there's always something to play back. For a dimmer, it would simply be all channels off. For an LED fixture I'd have various colors and patterns. When the user records their own scene, it records over the default looks.

Quote:
If controller implements the E1.37 it should know if a scene is programmed throught PRESET_STATUS command, but only few controller are compliant with E1.37!
I've only seen a few controllers with E1.37. I suspect we'll see more updated to support it over the next year or two.
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 8th, 2014   #3
prwatE120
Task Group Member

Best use NACK : DATA_OUT_OF_RANGE

Last edited by prwatE120; April 8th, 2014 at 03:32 PM. Reason: spelling
prwatE120 is offline   Reply With Quote