E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 19th, 2006   #1
sondericker
Banned

Exclamation Mute Response Question

I'm not sure, but I think I have found something that needs to be brought up.

(I know this sounds like a Zen koan)
Should an already muted responder respond to a mute command?

I believe the answer is a resounding no. Here is why:

Lets say that responders a, b and c are on a universe and are being discovered. If the wire-or of the discover next responses of a&b make a valid message which looks like the response of c the system will believe it found c and then mute it. That is fine, but if a muted c responds again to a mute it will block a&b from ever being discovered. You end up in a loop and it looks like c is un-muting itself constantly. You'll think you're just discovering c over and over again.

I believe a solution is for an already muted device to not respond to a mute command, and therefore it would signal that what looked like a valid discover next response is really a collision.

Is this really an issue or am I missing something?
sondericker is offline   Reply With Quote