E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM General Implementation Discussion

RDM General Implementation Discussion General Discussion and questions relating to implementing RDM in a product.

Old January 28th, 2011   #1
ryanww

Default eCue RDM with a Martin Mac 350

I have a couple questions.. This is my first experience with RDM at all.. So really new to it!

I have an installation that is an eCue control system with a Butler XT driving DMX to a chain of Martin Mac 350's. Well and some other lights, but so far this is the only thing that does RDM out of the lot of lights.

I keep getting some error messages:

1/29/2011 1:47:55 PM [RDM] Butler XT - Dome #1 port 0 device 4D50:0107D11E: Hiding gateway timeout

1/29/2011 1:48:22 PM [RDM] Butler XT - Dome #1 port 0 device FFFF:FFFFFFFF: Forwarding gateway timeout

I am wondering what exactly they mean..

Also, when I look at the device, I can see the DMX footprint, personality number, starting address. But it shows as having no subdevices and no sensors in the window. I was told by Martin that I should be able to get all of the sensor readings.. I am wondering if this is related to the above errors maybe?

Thanks,
Ryan
ryanww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2011   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Ryan,

I'm not that familiar with the eCue, but they did attend one of our RDM Plugfests last year. Javid Butler on the forums here I believe is working for them now.

I'm not sure about their "Hiding Gateway Timeout" as that is an error specific to their product. The 2nd one is an invalid UID with all FFFF.

Have you been able to successfully discover and communicate all of the fixtures?

The Martin fixtures likely don't contain any subdevices. Those would be for things like dimmer modules in a dimmer rack. Most moving lights don't use subdevices.

The Martin fixtures do make use of Sensors and have not had any trouble reading sensor information from them. Does it look like the eCue supports reading sensors?
Old January 28th, 2011   #3
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

Those messages look like something specific to the eCUE's implementation and not something directly related to RDM. IIRC eCUE uses an ethernet to DMX gateway, so those messages may be related to the network communication side of things.

As Scott said, I would not expect a moving head to have sub-devices. It may or may not have sensors. Many of the Martin fixtures have sensors that are accessible via RDM, but I've not used a MAC 350 to can't tell you what to expect with it.

Can you change the DMX address and other features of the light remotely?
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011   #4
Martin.nielsen

Send a message via Skype™ to Martin.nielsen
Default olingic Prisciani

Ryan,

The messages have (Ericthegeek mentions) nothing to do with the MAC350E, other than its UID is displayed (4D50:0107D11E)

The MAC350E does not support either status messages or sensors at the moment. Support for this will come at a later time.

And no, the MAC350E has no subdevices.

You should be able to change the DMX address and DMX personality.

BR
Martin
Martin.nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2011   #5
Martin.nielsen

Send a message via Skype™ to Martin.nielsen

Ryan,
The messages
Quote:
1/29/2011 1:47:55 PM [RDM] Butler XT - Dome #1 port 0 device 4D50:0107D11E: Hiding gateway timeout

1/29/2011 1:48:22 PM [RDM] Butler XT - Dome #1 port 0 device FFFF:FFFFFFFF: Forwarding gateway timeout
are not from the MAC350E but must be from the Butler XT. (Other than the lights UID 4D50:0107D11E of course)

/BR
Martin

Last edited by Martin.nielsen; February 24th, 2011 at 12:55 AM.
Martin.nielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011   #6
tim_ecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanww View Post
I have a couple questions.. This is my first experience with RDM at all.. So really new to it!

I have an installation that is an eCue control system with a Butler XT driving DMX to a chain of Martin Mac 350's. Well and some other lights, but so far this is the only thing that does RDM out of the lot of lights.

I keep getting some error messages:

I am wondering what exactly they mean..

Also, when I look at the device, I can see the DMX footprint, personality number, starting address. But it shows as having no subdevices and no sensors in the window. I was told by Martin that I should be able to get all of the sensor readings.. I am wondering if this is related to the above errors maybe?

Thanks,
Ryan
Hy Ryan,

the gateway timeout stuff is as eric suggested related to the involved ethernet gateway and no reason to worry if it happens only occaisionally. The system will deal with that.

You may be using a programmer version that does not support subdevices (assuming there are any on the fixtures at all). For full RDM support, please use the upcoming 5.3 version (available at beginning of march), which will include complete RDM support. Earlier version do have missing features.

Still, if in the device info section the software shows a subdevice count of 0, this is just because there are no subdevices Do You have a reason to beleive they should be there?

Best,
Tim
tim_ecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2011   #7
tim_ecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblair View Post
Ryan,

I'm not that familiar with the eCue, but they did attend one of our RDM Plugfests last year. Javid Butler on the forums here I believe is working for them now.

I'm not sure about their "Hiding Gateway Timeout" as that is an error specific to their product. The 2nd one is an invalid UID with all FFFF.

Have you been able to successfully discover and communicate all of the fixtures?

The Martin fixtures likely don't contain any subdevices. Those would be for things like dimmer modules in a dimmer rack. Most moving lights don't use subdevices.

The Martin fixtures do make use of Sensors and have not had any trouble reading sensor information from them. Does it look like the eCue supports reading sensors?
sure we do and always did. at the plug fest I had no issues with the martin fixtures around (or was that on Plasa when I tried them ... anyway ...)

if however the sensors did hide in subdevices, it might be he used an old software version which does not support subdevices.
tim_ecue is offline   Reply With Quote