E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM User Forums > DMX512 Discussion

DMX512 Discussion Discussion and questions relating to DMX512-A and DMX512/1990.

Old May 4th, 2009   #1
-dalc-

Default CHECKSUM for NULL START CODE?

Actually SIP packet could be the only way to provide a NULL START CODE packet validation.
Is it possible, in the neare future, to partially modify NSC packet assigning a special use to some slot in order to provide packet validation (eg: slot 1 & 2 = packet lenght, slot N & N+1 = packet checksum) ? It could make DMX more reliable at a price of few slots (eg: 4 slot loss) and mantains full compatibily with the past.

I know that slots are precious for Lighting Designers, but on the other side RDM make possible to free some tipical device control slots like "Device Reset" or "Lamp Control" or some other. (... and I think this should be tell to LDs)
-dalc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12th, 2009   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

There are no plans to modify the Null Start code packets. This was proposed many years ago and never really got any traction. There's a couple reasons for this, everything on the link would have to support it to be useful. If a fixture implements it but the controller doesn't, then the fixture would never see "valid" data because there is no checksum.

With the high refresh rate and redundancy of data with DMX512 any corrupted packets are quickly flushed through. If we were going to design DMX512 from scratch today, yes it would most likely be included...but the huge install base doesn't really lend itself to modifying functions of the NSC packet.

If you are having problems with data getting corrupted with NSC packets, then it is likely you have a bigger problem (ie. bad cable) that will be trashing the SIP and RDM packets as well.
Old May 13th, 2009   #3
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

If you need a checksum for Null Start Code (NSC) packets, SIPs are the proper way to do it.

Yes, the checksum *could* be added to the NSC data itself, but either solution will require a firmware update for both the sender and the receiver. Since you have to modify the firmware anyway, doing it with SIPs allows you to have the checksum functionality without breaking the conventions that determine how NSC data is used.

I think SIPs are one of the best features added in the E1.11 revision of DMX. I wish they were more widely used. Sadly, I'm only aware of 3 devices that support SIPs.
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009   #4
-dalc-

OK,
I've just implemented SIP packet handling in my responder.
but now.... I need a conroller that sends SIP!!!
Could you tell me some products that can send SIP?
Thank you very much!
-dalc- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13th, 2009   #5
R_Goddard
Task Group Member

Goddard Design Co. Lil'DMXter 2 software version 2.40 and up or our DMXter4 RDM both supports Sips.
www.goddarddesign.com
cheer
Bob Goddard
www.goddarddesign.com
sales@goddarddesign.com
R_Goddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16th, 2018   #6
shawn

That's a good idea. I'm going to add them here: TeensyDMX
(Huh, on my browser, that link doesn't show up as a different colour. In any case, it's a link.)
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2018   #7
shawn

I just added SIP support (see the two SIP examples) to release 2.5.0 of my TeensyDMX library (https://github.com/ssilverman/TeensyDMX).
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote