E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old October 14th, 2009   #1
berntd

Default SLOT_DESCRIPTION

Hello,

Get SLOT_DESCRIPTION for a subdevice:

Is the slot offset always 0 if the subdevice has a footprint of 1?
Is this true although its DMX address is = unit base address + nSubdev?

Kind regards
Bernt
berntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009   #2
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

I don't think the issue of SLOT_DESCRIPTION for sub-devices has ever come up before, at least I haven't heard it discussed. If the Sub-Device is patchable, I guess it would have to be relative to the sub-dev's starting address, so a 1 slot sub-dev would always have an offset of zero.

If the sub-devices aren't independantly patchable, then I think the SLOT_DESCRIPTION should be supported on the Root device, and not the sub-dev.

(I should make it clear that everything I post here is my personal opinion. My posts in no way represent an official viewpoint).
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009   #3
berntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthegeek View Post
(I should make it clear that everything I post here is my personal opinion. My posts in no way represent an official viewpoint).
Don't worry. Forums are exactly for the purpose of sharing opinions

That said, the Enttech controller pops up a fader or set of faders (depending on root or subdevice) if "DeviceControl" is clicked.

The label below this fader(s) matches the SLOT_DESCRIPTION. If I do not support it in the root AND subdevices, the fader labels are not correct.

That is besides my question though.

Kind regards
Bernt
Old October 14th, 2009   #4
mike_k
Task Group Member

I agree with Eric that if the subdevice is not patchable and does not consume any DMX channels then the SLOT_INFO should be on the root device since then the root device is what is consuming the slots.

At least if I have understood the question correctly.
Old October 15th, 2009   #5
berntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_k View Post
I agree with Eric that if the subdevice is not patchable and does not consume any DMX channels then the SLOT_INFO should be on the root device since then the root device is what is consuming the slots.

At least if I have understood the question correctly.
Hello,

Yes but the controllers do not seem to allow me to have dmx personalities on a subdevice when the dmx footprint is 0.

Regards
Bernt
Old October 16th, 2009   #6
mike_k
Task Group Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by berntd View Post
Hello,

Yes but the controllers do not seem to allow me to have dmx personalities on a subdevice when the dmx footprint is 0.

Regards
Bernt
That sounds more like a specific controller bug. A device should be able to have footprints of 0 and still have multiple personalities (any other personalities might have a footprint of >0 but that it happens to have the 0 footprint personality active). It should also be able to have multiple personalities with footprints of 0.
What controller are you using? And does the same thing apply to rootdevices with footprint of 0? Or is it just subdevices that have that problem?
Old October 16th, 2009   #7
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

I strongly agree with Mike on this one: it needs to be fixed at the controller.

I'd hate to see a bug in one controller propagate into other devices. Typically it's far easier to update software in a controller than a responder, so fixing controller bugs in the responder is the wrong thing to do.

IIRC, you said in another post that you're having the problem with Infogate 2.1. Have you tried v2.2? 2.2 is significantly newer, and I know it fixed some bugs.

I know of at least one other product that uses personalities with a zero footprint.
Old October 18th, 2009   #8
berntd

Quote:
I strongly agree with Mike on this one: it needs to be fixed at the controller.

I'd hate to see a bug in one controller propagate into other devices. Typically it's far easier to update software in a controller than a responder, so fixing controller bugs in the responder is the wrong thing to do.

IIRC, you said in another post that you're having the problem with Infogate 2.1. Have you tried v2.2? 2.2 is significantly newer, and I know it fixed some bugs.

I know of at least one other product that uses personalities with a zero footprint.
No, I have been advised that 2.11 was the last version to work with the Gateway 4200. 2.2 is for the 4210 apparently and it needs a DOngle!

Regards
Bernt
Old October 18th, 2009   #9
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

The newer versions of the Wybron software do require you to purchase a dongle. You'll have to talk to them for details.
Old October 18th, 2009   #10
berntd

Quote:
The newer versions of the Wybron software do require you to purchase a dongle. You'll have to talk to them for details.

They have confirmed that the newer version CANNOT run on the 4200.
So, no need to get a dongle as it will not work.

I am currently talkin with them about all this.

Regards
Bernt
Old October 19th, 2009   #11
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

That's odd, Eric confirmed this morning that the unit we are using is in fact the 4200 model and we're running v2.2 with it. We did have to get the dongle from them in order to run it though.

Scott
Old October 19th, 2009   #12
berntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblair View Post
That's odd, Eric confirmed this morning that the unit we are using is in fact the 4200 model and we're running v2.2 with it. We did have to get the dongle from them in order to run it though.

Scott
Interesting :-)
I quote: "Unfortunately, Version 2.2 is not compatible with the 4200 units. "

I find it odd too but that is what they told me.
They are looking into it.

Kind regards
Bernt
Old October 19th, 2009   #13
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Our unit looks nothing like the 4210. The model # said 4200 on the bottom. Ours is a fraction of the height and much wider. There is no display on it and all the jacks on the back are in single row.

Scott
Old October 19th, 2009   #14
berntd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblair View Post
Our unit looks nothing like the 4210. The model # said 4200 on the bottom. Ours is a fraction of the height and much wider. There is no display on it and all the jacks on the back are in single row.

Scott
So does mine. Also, there are 9 leds shining through the front.
I 'll have to wait and see what they come up with.

Kind regards
Bernt