E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 23rd, 2019   #1
RoryM

Post SLOT_INFO with Secondary Slots

Hello,

I'm developing a tool that deals with responder Slots, and am trying to understand the boundaries of what the Standard allows with regards to SLOT_INFO and 16-bit parameters/functions.

The standard states that a responder has 16-bit parameter(s) when it has both a Primary (ST_PRIMARY) and Secondary (ST_SEC_FINE) slot(s). The type of slot is discovered using SLOT_INFO.

Secondary slots are meant to report the Slot Offset for the Primary Slot they refer to, however as far as I can tell there are no rules in the standard preventing a responder implementation from having multiple Secondary Slots pointing to the same Primary.

It seems to be legal, but I can't see why a responder would have multiple Secondary slots for the same Primary, so was hoping someone could provide a use case for one? Or point me towards where it states that is forbidden?

Thanks,
Rory
RoryM is offline   Reply With Quote