E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old April 15th, 2020   #1
sergeychk

Default PDL size for GET Manufacturer-specific PID

In Document number: CP/2009-1017r2 2017 ESTA section 10.4.2
"PDL Size:
PDL Size defines the number used for the PDL field in all GET_RESPONSE and SET messages
associated with this PID. In the case of the value of DS_ASCII, the PDL Size represents the
maximum length of a variable sized ASCII string."
Accordingly the controller must use the same value for Get/Set reqest, in my case the value is "1" for new PID.
I dont have any questions regarding Set command, but, as far as I understand,
for Get command controller must send one dummy byte. Is it correct?
sergeychk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2020   #2
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

PARAMETER_DESCRIPTION is very limited. It lets you describe simple PIDs with a single value that is symmetric between GET and SET. Anything more complicated can't be fully described.

sergeychk> Accordingly the controller must use the same value for Get/Set reqest

The length applies to the SET request sent by the controller and to the GET_RESPONSE sent by the responder.

sergeychk> Get command controller must send one dummy byte. Is it correct?

No, the GET request would have a PDL of zero.
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 16th, 2020   #3
sergeychk

I'd like to extend my understanding of the 10.4.2 section. For example, Manufacturer-specific parameter data has the fixed length = 1 byte.
Then, testing a software for a controller, I received the Manufacturer-specific PID associated PDL field value = 1 on my lighting fixture.
But provided that PDL in GET_COMAND request must have "0" value, should the lighting device respond "NR_FORMAT_ERROR"?
What PDL field value should set the lighting device, sending SET_COMMAND_RESPONSE to the controller's SET_COMMAND request?
a)SET_COMMAND_RESPONCE with ACK and PDL = 0 (without parameter data)?
b)SET_COMMAND_RESPONCE with ACK and PDL = 1 with parameter data?
To my opinion option "b" corresponds 10.4.2 section better, but I prefer option "a" due to it's compactness.
Plus option "b" may be more suitable for the controller's software realization.
I'm confusing between the above mentioned options because the controller's and the responder's software and firmware realization is very much depending on which option to choose.
sergeychk is offline   Reply With Quote