E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM General Implementation Discussion

RDM General Implementation Discussion General Discussion and questions relating to implementing RDM in a product.

Old February 19th, 2007   #1
HaroldHallikainen

Default RDM Test Equipment?

What test equipment is suggested for debugging RDM during development? I'm thinking of something that would generate RDM packets and also "sit on the line" showing RDM packets as they go by. Suggestions?

THANKS!

Harold
HaroldHallikainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007   #2
Milton Davis
Task Group Member

Default RDM "sniffer"

Harold,

I have had to work through this question for a number of projects in the past. We have a couple of methods that are appropriate for prototyping.

At a very low level, I tend to keep a scope probe on the line to see exactly when the line is being released by controllers/responders and to check for timing and collision issues. This solved a recent issue where a device appeared to have no response to an RDM query when, in fact, it was responding, but only after a very long pause.

At one data level, I have used software from Frontline Test Systems called ST Async. It lets me look at raw values easily.

At another data level, we made a box that "listens" to the traffic as you describe. It puts RDM packets in a circular buffer and sends the data in a somewhat filtered and formatted form to a Hyperterm screen.

So far as creating controller-originated messages, I have hard-coded some test setups as I needed them, but I really didn't want to get into a full-on controller design.

One device we have that does do a bit of controller work is our RAD. I think anyone in this group who has used it would say that it floods messages to responding devices like no other. If your responder can keep up with the RAD, you have a good, solid implementation of the discovery routines.

Beyond these methods, you need to start creating a somewhat sophisticated application on the PC or make a dedicated piece of hardware. Wayne at Artistic Licence made a piece of RDM test equipment at one point, but I have failed to keep up with his status on that device.

Regards,
Milton Davis, Engineer
Doug Fleenor Design, Inc.
Milton Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2007   #3
HaroldHallikainen

Default RDM Sniffer

Thanks Milton! I wonder if one of these" http://www.usbee.com/comp.html would be useful. It's a logic analyzer along with async (and everything else) decoding.

Harold
HaroldHallikainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007   #4
nic123

Hi

Our RDM USB Pro will give you access to our FULL RDM controller and RDM sniffer. I think these 2 apps will do exactly what you are looking for

http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main...name=rdmusbpro

Nicolas Moreau
www.enttec.com
nic123 is offline   Reply With Quote