E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Physical Layer/Hardware Discussion

RDM Physical Layer/Hardware Discussion Discussion and questions relating to the physical or hardware layer of RDM.

Old November 18th, 2010   #1
R.Schladör

Default Electrical Safety requirements for DMX / RDM lines

Hi all!

I was wondering how electrical safety is defined for the DMX bus?
The DMX wires are not insulated, meaning that they can be touched at least at the connectors.

Are there any considerations for electrical safety that I need to think of for my devices?
Or are there any additional safety-standards that DMX devices need to comply with?

How do you address this topic in your products?
R.Schladör is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 18th, 2010   #2
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

> I was wondering how electrical safety is
> defined for the DMX bus?

It's not defined. None of the ESTA standards directly address safety. Safety is the domain of a company's lawyers and compliance engineer.

You may want to read the two cabling standards, they might give you some ideas to consider. Also look at the various topologies defined in E1.11, as well at the enhanced common mode section.

> The DMX wires are not insulated, meaning that
> they can be touched at least at the connectors.

Over a long cable run you can build up a substantial ground potential difference. Also, an equipment fault elsewhere in the system can put line voltage (or worse) on to the DMX wires.

It is a common practice to galvanicly isolate the DMX port from the rest of the system. This can provide some protection, but how much protection you promise is a matter for the lawyers.
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote