E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old October 8th, 2009   #1
tim_ecue

Default PARAMETER_DESCRIPTION data type semantics

Hi,

I have two questions:

1) the data type description refers to arrays rather than single elements. Does this mean, that given a data type of say DWORD, the PDLen must be a fixed multiple of 4 indicating a fixed size DWORD array or should it be always 4, indicating a single DWORD (and arrays are not allowed at all)

2) I have a lamp here that returns a PARAMETER_DESCRIPTION response with a PDlen=2 and 0x0006 as the actual data. Did I miss something or is this just plain wrong ?

Any help is appreciated

Best,
Tim
tim_ecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Tim,

The PDL is always the number of bytes, regardless of the data type. PDL Size is used to tell the controller what to expect the PDL to be for a GET_COMMAND_RESPONSE or SET_COMMAND_RESPONSE message.

There are a number of flaws you'll find documented on here with the Parameter Description message but it still has some basic uses. Strictly speaking by Table A-15, you can have arrays of values, but most commonly it will be an array size of 1. i.e. a single data value.

In the case of a single DWORD value, the PDL would be 0x04 with leading 0's to pad out the field.

A PDL of 0x02 and an actual value of 0x0006 would indicate a 16-bit value. If the PDL is 0x04 then the actual value would be: 0x00000006.
Old October 14th, 2009   #3
tim_ecue

Thanks for the clarification!

Just in case anyone cares: (2) was my bad because the response was actually a NAK response and thus did not contain a PARAMETER_DESCRIPTION at all.
tim_ecue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009   #4
prwatE120
Task Group Member

Note :

Quote:
2) I have a lamp here that returns a PARAMETER_DESCRIPTION response with a PDlen=2 and 0x0006 as the actual data. Did I miss something or is this just plain wrong ?
As Tim acknowledges, this could not have been a correct response to a GET:PARAMATER_DESCRIPTION, as the response must have a PDL in the range 0x14 -0x34, as detailed in section 10.4.2 of the standard.

Thus I found Scott's original response a bit misleading.

As has been documented elsewhere, the format of this PID is severely limited, and probably the best approach is just to use it to send a text description of your Manufacturer specific PID.

Peter Willis
prwatE120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2009   #5
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Peter, there are 2 PDL fields involved here. 1 is the PDL for the PARAMETER_DESCRIPTION response itself. The other is the PDL that is included in the parameter description message that defines what the PDL is for a response for the parameter ID that is being described. What we were talking about is the latter.