E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old July 28th, 2013   #1
nomis52
Task Group Member

Default Another BLOCK_ADDRESS question

I'm busy adding responder tests for the E1.37-1 PIDs. I'm having trouble deciding what I should expect for GET DMX_BLOCK_ADDRESS in the following situation:

i) the DMX_BLOCK_ADDRESS pid is declared as supported
ii) DEVICE_INFO has no sub devices declared.

Clearly the sub-device footprint must be 0, but what should the base DMX address be? I would have expected 0xffff but it's not called out in the standard.

Yes, it's a weird corner case, but that's what the tests are for...

Simon
nomis52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013   #2
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

"ERROR: DMX_BLOCK_ADDRESS included in SUPPORTED_PARAMETERS but responder has no sub-devices"

To me it's similar to the "Sub-Device Status Reporting Threshold" PID that only makes sense when the responder has sub-devices.
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 29th, 2013   #3
nomis52
Task Group Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthegeek View Post
"ERROR: DMX_BLOCK_ADDRESS included in SUPPORTED_PARAMETERS but responder has no sub-devices"

To me it's similar to the "Sub-Device Status Reporting Threshold" PID that only makes sense when the responder has sub-devices.

Well at most it can be an advisory message, since there is nothing in the standard that enforces it (although it makes complete sense).
nomis52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2013   #4
este_

This question relates to the BLOCK_ADDRESS issue raised by Hamish before.

This is my point of view:
BLOCK_ADDRESS only makes sense when there are Sub-Devices present. There is, however, no need to suppress the BLOCK_ADDRESS PID when Sub-Devices have gone (e.g. the "empty" Dimmer Rack referred to earlier). You may assume to receive a valid address in the DMX address range. You may also be able to set (write) a Block Adress without Sub-Devices installed; but slot allocation may only take place as soon as the Sub-Devices (with their respective slot count) are added or enabled.
este_ is offline   Reply With Quote