E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old June 8th, 2018   #1
Vinayakadj

Exclamation RDM Proxy devices

Hi All,
I am developing RDM proxy device. I have multiple logical devices to be presented to the controller. So I am using the discoverable proxy device.
If I have 4 logical devices. I need 1 proxy device to represent these. The question here is what parameter ID I have to support for the proxy device apart from DISC_UNIQUE_BRANCH, PROXIED_DEVICE_COUNT and PROXIED_DEVICES.
Vinayakadj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2018   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Welcome to the forums. There are a number of people here that have implemented Proxies so they can help answer your questions. Technically for a Proxy you just have to set the flag and support the two PROXY messages above. However there may be controllers out there that don't fully implement support properly for Proxies so I believe what a number of them do is to also "spoof" discovery for the devices they are proxying for. To do that you would respond to the Discovery UNIQUE_BRANCH messages for each of the devices you proxy as well as the MUTE and UNMUTE messages. This way they get discovered by a controller just like any other non-proxy device.

Each device represented by a UID whether it is a proxied or non-proxied device needs to support the PIDs listed in the Minimum Support list in the Appendix.

Scott
Old June 11th, 2018   #3
Vinayakadj

Thanks Scott for your reply. I have few more question which really helps me.
1. What would be the source Id for the response generated by Proxied device?. As the message is generated by Proxy should the source ID be Proxy's source ID or it should be the source ID of Proxied device.
2. This question is regarding Binding UID field and Port ID. As per my understanding
If one physical device has multiple logical devices we can bind UID to it. Can you explain me the difference between using a binding UID vs Proxy device? In my implementation of hardware, we have a physical device with multiple logical devices associated with it. Should I choose Binding UID and represent them as the single physical device or should I use Proxy to represent them?

Regards,
Vinayaka D J
Old June 11th, 2018   #4
Vinayakadj

One more question regarding port ID. In RDM message structure there is a field for Port ID is this port ID same as the binding UID port ID?
Old June 11th, 2018   #5
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinayakadj View Post
1. What would be the source Id for the response generated by Proxied device?. As the message is generated by Proxy should the source ID be Proxy's source ID or it should be the source ID of Proxied device.

The source address should be the UID of the proxied device.

Quote:
2. This question is regarding Binding UID field and Port ID. As per my understanding
If one physical device has multiple logical devices we can bind UID to it. Can you explain me the difference between using a binding UID vs Proxy device? In my implementation of hardware, we have a physical device with multiple logical devices associated with it. Should I choose Binding UID and represent them as the single physical device or should I use Proxy to represent them?

The binding UID is used when you have a responder with multiple DMX input connectors.

Proxy is used when you have multiple *logical* devices behind a single DMX input connector.

For example, a dimmer rack that has two DMX inputs would use the Binding UID to tell the controller that those two different UIDs are both connected to the same rack. Without this, the controller would believe it's seeing two different dimmer racks.

A color scroller system with a power supply and 8 scrollers would use proxy because you want to controller to recognize it as 9 separate things.

Quote:
In RDM message structure there is a field for Port ID is this port ID same as the binding UID port ID?

No. The Port ID field gives the *controller* port number and only exists in an RDM request. If the controller has multiple outputs it lets you determine which output generated the request.

The Binding UID is used by*responders* to give information to the controller.
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote