E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM General Implementation Discussion

RDM General Implementation Discussion General Discussion and questions relating to implementing RDM in a product.

Old February 25th, 2008   #1
zshenker

Thumbs up Open Source RDM Project

Hi all,

Just wanted to let everyone know about a project I am currently in the planning stages for. My goal is to produce a set of RDM middleware to allow developers to easily implement RDM into their own devices.

I hope to have some more detailed planning documents together within the next few days, but in summary:

* Written in C to allow portability between a wide range of embedded processors and x86 based computers.

* Handles RDM Messages(Sending & Recieving), DMX I/O is left up to developer to implement for their specific hardware through a common API.

* Implemented in 3 Levels:
* Common RDM Functions
* Responder
* Controller

* Specific Device Implementation occurs above either Responder or Controller.

I have acquired some hosting for the project on SourceForge at http://www.sf.net/projects/openrdm

Any comments/feedback/suggestions are more than welcome.

Regards,
Zac Shenker
email: zac@zacshenker.com
zshenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25th, 2008   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Sounds like a great idea Zac.

I'm going to say that the Controller side would probably be the most useful since the Responder is much easier and Wybron has already been giving out Responder code through a royalty-free licensing agreement of their own.
Old February 25th, 2008   #3
zshenker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sblair
Sounds like a great idea Zac.

I'm going to say that the Controller side would probably be the most useful since the Responder is much easier and Wybron has already been giving out Responder code through a royalty-free licensing agreement of their own.
Thanks for the reply Scott. My plan is to implement the common elements between the Controller & Responder first so that I have a solid foundation and would then probably do the Controller.

I know that some people do still have concerns over Wybrons licensing argreement so I do aim to ultimatley provide code for both Controller and Responder as Open Source Code(looking at GPL Licence at this stage).

Regards,
Zac
zshenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2008   #4
sondericker
Banned

We are no longer offering our RDM responder code free of charge. Please send all inquiries to lee@wybron.com

best,

John Sondericker III
Director of Technologies
Wybron, Inc.
(719) 548 - 9774

Last edited by sondericker; March 17th, 2009 at 02:45 PM.
sondericker is offline   Reply With Quote