E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old August 6th, 2019   #1
FishAI

Default Self Test | Must a Self Test terminate?

Hi,

I have a question regarding the Self Test Handling.
Does the sentence in 10.11.4 Get / Set PERFORM_SELFTEST
Quote:
A Self Test operation may return pass/fail status
imply, that a self test is finished at some point of time?

If so, how would you correctly handle a memory test for example?
Is it possible to let a self test run endlessly, until PERFORM_SELFTEST 0x00 is send and than queue a Status Message response?

Best regards,
FishAI
FishAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 4th, 2019   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Welcome to the forums. There are different type of Self Tests and it depends on the device and implementation. While it is possible that a device can implement a self test that returns a status when complete there are many devices out there such as moving lights where the self test is more visual for the user, and as such may run continuously until they are told to stop.

A memory test on something would likely run and return a pass/fail at the end. But on a moving light something like a Pan test or color wheel test is more likely to just run continuously until told to stop. It all depends on the implementation of the device as to how the self test operates.

If I was implementing something like a memory test or other one shot pass/fail test. I would just perform the test and then queue a message with the results. For something where I want it to run continuously then I would just wait until I'm told to stop the test and if it something where I can provide results then I'd Queue a message as you suggest.