E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old October 8th, 2008   #1
berntd

Default DISC_UNIQUE_BRANCH dest UID (section 7.3)

Hello

Must the DISC_UNIQUE_BRANCH command always be sent to destination UID = BROADCAST_ALL_DEVICES_ID (Appendix A p 101)?

I would like to send it to ALL_DEVICES_ID (0xmmmmFFFFFFFF) instead and in my interpretation, that should be fine and valid or am I misinterpreting something?

Kind regards
bernt
berntd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8th, 2008   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Bernt,

There is no reason why that shouldn't work or be allowed. However I could potentially see a case where someone didn't think of that case in their code and somehow doesn't handle it. All my code is handled in a why that it would work fine in my products.

I think there might be a better way to do it though that will do the exact same thing and likely eliminate any potential issues.

Send the DISC_UNIQUE_BRANCH message to the BROADCAST_ALL_DEVICES_ID but set your upper and lower bounds for the discovery routine to be within that manufactuerer ID.

In other words set the lower bound to: 0xmmmm00000000 and upper bound to: 0xmmmmFFFFFFFF.

That should do the exact same thing and be guaranteed to work.
Old October 9th, 2008   #3
berntd

Hi Scott

I am just checking because I have a feeling that a product (a proxy) I am interfacing with is getting a bit confused maybe.
I am not sure if thisis causing the trouble or something else but what I am seing on the other side of the proxy is very not what I expect nor will it work that way.

I am actually sending the discovery address boundaries exactly as you mentioned.

Regards
Bernt
Old October 11th, 2008   #4
sblair
Administrator

Bernt,

A proxy will typically do it's own independent discovery. There are then messages you can use to just get a packed list of all the UID's it has discovered. This results in a generally much faster discovery in a large system.

The proxy is free to do its own discovery, so trying to limit it in the way you want to probably won't be possible from the upstream side of the proxy.

What is the issue you are trying to solve by limiting discovery to a specific manufacturer ID only?
Old October 15th, 2008   #5
berntd

Hi Scott,

No issue in particular. It was just done that way at the time and I am now wondering with hindsight if it was correct.

Kind regards
Bernt
Old October 15th, 2008   #6
sblair
Administrator

I think limiting it using the upper and lower bounds is probably going to be the most effective across different implementations.