E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM General Implementation Discussion

RDM General Implementation Discussion General Discussion and questions relating to implementing RDM in a product.

Old November 6th, 2008   #1
Milton Davis
Task Group Member

Default Simple dimmer error reporting

I am in the middle of making a simple RDM device which is composed of a conventional lamp integrated with a dimmer. There is a crude current sensing mechanism. It is only intened to determine whether the lamp is good or not. I don't care whether the wattage is 200W or 300W, etc.; just is it there or not.

When reporting the status of the fixture/dimmer, are there any suggestions as to what status message would be most appropriate? The closest entries in the Standard are STS_BREAKER_TRIPPED, STS_WATTS, and STS_DIM_FAILURE. None of these is really a correct description of the error state. Any ideas or experience from others?

Regards,
Milton Davis
Milton Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 6th, 2008   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Milton,

I think STS_WATTS is probably the closest as you can then report "0 Watts", which would be correct.

A Lamp fail message would probably be most useful. This list is meant to easily be extended just by sending a request in to Karl to add a new public one since it sounds like it would be general purpose.
Old November 7th, 2008   #3
prwatE120
Task Group Member

Please request a new message STS_LOAD_FAILURE

Peter Willis
prwatE120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 7th, 2008   #4
Milton Davis
Task Group Member

Thanks Scott/Peter. I will write up a request later today. It's really a little surprising that none of us caught this hole before now... "is it plugged in?"...

Regards,
Milton
Milton Davis is offline   Reply With Quote