View Single Post
Old August 27th, 2008   #4
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Bernt,

There is a lot of product out there that shipped using draft versions of RDM. The problem is that there were a number of different draft versions that all had radical differences between them at the protocol level. Simply put, they are incompatible at many levels besides just the Start Code itself. That is the risk of shipping product with draft versions. I spoke out on the issue as much as I could so that users would be aware of the situation of buying "RDM" product at that time.

I understand your situation of not being able to mention the specific gear on here. If you would like to message me privately on here then I can probably put you directly in touch with the right person at that manufacturer to speak with.

The final version of RDM was actually published in June 2006. Companies that had adopted the very early draft versions in their own products and had it in a lot of their products by the time the Standard released are the ones that have the most challenge as they have to update their code in a lot of products all at once.