View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2014   #10
nomis52
Task Group Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zano_villa View Post
The issue is the third line:

- otherwise, if there are status messages at or above the requested level (see table 10-1) that have not been collected, return one or more status messages.

In my implementation I have DMX status situation regarded as an ADVISORY STATUS and it is always present. So, if I have not pending messages, and I still receive GET_QUEUED_MESSAGEs with ADVISORY_STATUS, must I send it only once and then return a status message response with PDL of 0 ?

I don't think so.
My interpretation (and from all but one device with the gear I've tested with) is that status messages are asserted when the condition occurs and then, once the message is collected by the controller, the responder no longer has the message. Therefore always returning an advisory status message breaks this model. It effectively tells the controller "I always have this condition and there is nothing you can do to clear it".

When we reopen E1.20 I'll be pushing to clarify this behavior.

In E1.33 always returning an advisory message may generate a lot of traffic on the device -> controller and controller to controller links. This is another reason why it should be avoided.

Simon
nomis52 is offline   Reply With Quote