View Single Post
Old December 16th, 2015   #1
dj41354

Default GET_STATUS_MESSAGES for fault reporting

I'm starting on GET_STATUS_MESSAGES.
I have only two faults.. FAN_FAULT and OVER_TEMPERATURE_FAULT. Either will cause the light to discontinue normal operation where the main LED's go dim (depending on which fault), and the back panel LCD shows a fault message. The only way to recover (resume normal operation) is to cycle hard power, or in the case of the RDM implementation, reset the device.

My plan:
1) Implement GET_STATUS_MESSAGES & GET_STATUS_ID_DESCRIPTION and include them in the SUPPORTED_PARAMETERS list.
2) Define two custom Status_Message_IDs: 0x8000="FAN FAULT-RESET DEVICE" and 0x8001="OVER TEMPERATURE FAULT-RESET DEVICE"
3) Implement SET_RESET_DEVICE (and include it in SUPPORTED_PARAMETERS) so that a reset can be issued to see if a re-boot will clear the fault.
4) I will only ever have one of these faults present, because when one happens, the fixture doesn't even look for the other one to happen.. it goes into it's hard-coded fault mode.

Questions:
1) It looks like the Message Count field is not used to report that I have recorded a fault. It looks like it's reserved for GET_QUEUED_MESSAGE" commands.. is this correct?
2) I currently don't have STATUS_ADVISORY or STATUS_WARNING types. Do I need to code responses for requests of these types?.. and what would they be if I did? ACK's with no data?
3) I was planning on responding with the fault, whenever the light is in the fault mode, every time the GET_STATUS_MESSAGES or GET_LAST_MESSAGE is received. Only when the fault has been cleared with power cycle, or device-reset will these messages show clear.
4) I'm not planning on doing anything with STATUS_ADVISORY_CLEARED, STATUS_WARNING_CLEARED, and STATUS_ERROR_CLEARED.

I'm trying to keep this as simple as possible..
Does this plan sound ok from a system standpoint?.. any suggestions/tweeks that I should consider?

Thanks for your help with this..
Doug

Last edited by dj41354; December 17th, 2015 at 11:40 AM.
dj41354 is offline   Reply With Quote