Thread: RDM on Arduino
View Single Post
Old September 26th, 2018   #25
rodb70

saiteja,

I have worked with STM32 and RDM:
STM32F0 - Cortex M0 -Proof od concept Responder only, 16-segment display - keyboard with I2C comms.
STM32F3 - Cortex M3 - Entec comparable controller and responder, the DMA on this is a dream.
STM32F7 - Cortex M7 - Proof concept controller with discovery. Responder would be too easy on this puppy.
STM32F4 - Cortex M4 - Proof concept responder.

I have also used the NXP LPC812 & LPC845 these are Cortex M0+ with a very special timer for pixels... In both cases responder but looking at the amount of flash in the LPC845 and possibility of doing E1.33 proxy over ethernet.

Before you ask all these are using in-house software. I'm happy to answer technical question about the chips but other that RPi RDM source code and OLA (jaRule), I don't know of any open source code that does all this in an embedded micro-controller.

I have also used DMXSerial2 on Arduino / raw AVR.
Also old NXP 2-clock 8051 LPC936 using RDM with 16K-flash as well.

Don't just try and throw somebodies else's code at your micro-controller and then wonder why it does not work.
As an embedded engineer you have to be able to debug hardware issues, software issues and SW/HW interaction issues. As well as debugging silicon bug issues in the micro-controllers you are using. I have come across more than 1 silicon bug that requires a SW work around to keep running. Add on top of that you sometimes have to debug compiler issues as these compilers are not as well used as PC compilers and they have bugs as well.
I'm not saying you have to be an expert in all this at the beginning but being prepared to break out logic analyser, oscilloscope, ICE/jtag probe to debug, look at disassembly to see whats going on in the circuit / code you wrote is a skill not many people have these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saiteja View Post
Is there anyone who worked on STM32 controller with RDM?
rodb70 is offline   Reply With Quote