View Single Post
Old February 23rd, 2011   #6
tim_ecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamish View Post
Tim.

Few of the devices I worked with or tested have any self tests. In answer to you question, no, not yet. I have however seen self tests from one manufacturer being different on different products, which in my estimation is not keeping with the spirit of (maybe also the requirement*) of the standard.

I would expect self tests to be treated in the same way as manufacturer specific PIDs, being universal across all products.

Hamish.

* I haven't checked before writing this.
Good info!

For me it feels like the standard just leaves this open.

What eventually counts is what You can rely on in the real world. There, I would not even dare to assume anything about different devices of the same manufacturer supporting the same manufacturer-specifc pid. Even there, I would not really dare to assume these are the same and I am not sure if this is explicitly stated in the spec (reusing Your * here )

So I overall doubt the usefulness of suggesting consistent manufacturer-specific test IDs because at first sight it seems that control software cannot reliably exploit these anyway. Consecutively numbered tests are at least simple and straightforward :D
tim_ecue is offline   Reply With Quote