View Single Post
Old March 21st, 2013   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Welcome to the forums!

Generally when once a device is discovered and muted the controller leaves it in the muted state. This makes it easy for the controller to quickly discover any other device that comes online between discovery polls.

When muted, the controller can still communicate and the device will respond to all other PIDs. The only PID that is affected by the mute is the discovery unique branch PID.

The device can simply be unmuted without having to do a RESET_DEVICE to accomplish that when desired.

The DMXter is a bit special in that it is more of a diagnostic tester than a normal controller so it may do somethings differently. I think it may send an UNMUTE command to the device so that when it is then plugged back into the normal controller it will get properly re-discovered.

It sounds very odd that it would be sending a command to reset the device though. I certainly don't recall seeing that behavior before.

The software developer for the DMXter visits the forums so I'm sure he'll probably be able to respond within the next day or so.

Last edited by sblair; March 21st, 2013 at 04:13 AM.
sblair is offline   Reply With Quote