View Single Post
Old December 5th, 2008   #2
tracyu
Task Group Member

Default RDM in devices outside of lighting

I've not herd of RDM being used outside of lighting. Occasionally I've read articles of engineers who have used DMX 512 for things like water fountian controls (circuit cellar is the mag). At it's simplest level RDM is quite useful to remotly set your dmx addresses. In lower end DMX products, becasue they usally get produced in high numbers a manufactuer would wait until a model change to add such a feature. If you want to get more sophisticated now your into product redesign adding sensors and timers. At that point you have to ask if your customers will spend the extra $ for the features.
I think that in the not too distant future RDM will reach a "tipping point" where enough variety of product will be in the marketplace where those who are paying for gear will see the benifit in cost savings that an "RDM" rig has over just a "DMX" rig. When a designer finds out he won't have to stop in the middle of a tech to fix the dmx address of the 3rd wiggle light on the FOH, the true value of RDM will be understood. Once that gets around then you will see devices outside of lighting applications adding RDM.
tracyu is offline   Reply With Quote