Thread: DMX_PERSONALITY
View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2017   #1
dj41354

Default DMX_PERSONALITY

I have 3 (different size & wattage) fixtures that have been successively developed over that last 5 years that I'm trying to keep as unified as possible as far features and firmware are concerned. Most recently we've added a couple of features that are "Personalities" to our newest family members.. but we're also working on 2nd generation version of the eariler fixtures to give them the ability of the latest features. My problem is that the newest fully capable hardware has 7 personalities.. but earlier versions are only capable of some of these. (Additionally, even on the newest platforms, one of the personalities is an "accessory" that can be "added" after the fixture has been shipped). I'm having difficulty reconciling the concept that Personality numbers must be contiguous.. as this leads to different Personality numbers FOR THE SAME FEATURE SET depending on the generation of the fixture (or family size of the fixture). I'm leaning towards standardizing on the Personality Numbers based on the features they represent.. but that means on some of the fixtures (that don't yet have all the hardware present) some of the Personalities are "NOT AVAILABLE". My current RDM implementation is exactly that, and reports PERSONALITY_DESCRIPTION as "NOT AVAILABLE" as necessary.. but it seems this is not an accepted practice. I'd like some help with this. It seems to me a standardized set of Personality Numbers (even if in some circumstances, on the fixture in question, not all of them are available) is a better solution than forcing different personality numbers for the same features over a family of products.
dj41354 is offline   Reply With Quote