E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums

E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums (http://www.rdmprotocol.org/forums/index.php)
-   RDM Interpretation Questions (http://www.rdmprotocol.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   SLOT_DESCRIPTION (http://www.rdmprotocol.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1037)

berntd October 14th, 2009 05:52 PM

SLOT_DESCRIPTION

Hello,

Get SLOT_DESCRIPTION for a subdevice:

Is the slot offset always 0 if the subdevice has a footprint of 1?
Is this true although its DMX address is = unit base address + nSubdev?

Kind regards
Bernt

ericthegeek October 14th, 2009 07:45 PM

I don't think the issue of SLOT_DESCRIPTION for sub-devices has ever come up before, at least I haven't heard it discussed. If the Sub-Device is patchable, I guess it would have to be relative to the sub-dev's starting address, so a 1 slot sub-dev would always have an offset of zero.

If the sub-devices aren't independantly patchable, then I think the SLOT_DESCRIPTION should be supported on the Root device, and not the sub-dev.

(I should make it clear that everything I post here is my personal opinion. My posts in no way represent an official viewpoint).

berntd October 14th, 2009 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthegeek (Post 1748)
(I should make it clear that everything I post here is my personal opinion. My posts in no way represent an official viewpoint).

Don't worry. Forums are exactly for the purpose of sharing opinions :cool:

That said, the Enttech controller pops up a fader or set of faders (depending on root or subdevice) if "DeviceControl" is clicked.

The label below this fader(s) matches the SLOT_DESCRIPTION. If I do not support it in the root AND subdevices, the fader labels are not correct.

That is besides my question though.

Kind regards
Bernt

mike_k October 14th, 2009 11:53 PM

I agree with Eric that if the subdevice is not patchable and does not consume any DMX channels then the SLOT_INFO should be on the root device since then the root device is what is consuming the slots.

At least if I have understood the question correctly.

berntd October 15th, 2009 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_k (Post 1751)
I agree with Eric that if the subdevice is not patchable and does not consume any DMX channels then the SLOT_INFO should be on the root device since then the root device is what is consuming the slots.

At least if I have understood the question correctly.

Hello,

Yes but the controllers do not seem to allow me to have dmx personalities on a subdevice when the dmx footprint is 0.

Regards
Bernt

mike_k October 16th, 2009 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by berntd (Post 1753)
Hello,

Yes but the controllers do not seem to allow me to have dmx personalities on a subdevice when the dmx footprint is 0.

Regards
Bernt

That sounds more like a specific controller bug. A device should be able to have footprints of 0 and still have multiple personalities (any other personalities might have a footprint of >0 but that it happens to have the 0 footprint personality active). It should also be able to have multiple personalities with footprints of 0.
What controller are you using? And does the same thing apply to rootdevices with footprint of 0? Or is it just subdevices that have that problem?

ericthegeek October 16th, 2009 10:21 AM

I strongly agree with Mike on this one: it needs to be fixed at the controller.

I'd hate to see a bug in one controller propagate into other devices. Typically it's far easier to update software in a controller than a responder, so fixing controller bugs in the responder is the wrong thing to do.

IIRC, you said in another post that you're having the problem with Infogate 2.1. Have you tried v2.2? 2.2 is significantly newer, and I know it fixed some bugs.

I know of at least one other product that uses personalities with a zero footprint.

berntd October 18th, 2009 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthegeek (Post 1757)
I strongly agree with Mike on this one: it needs to be fixed at the controller.

I'd hate to see a bug in one controller propagate into other devices. Typically it's far easier to update software in a controller than a responder, so fixing controller bugs in the responder is the wrong thing to do.

IIRC, you said in another post that you're having the problem with Infogate 2.1. Have you tried v2.2? 2.2 is significantly newer, and I know it fixed some bugs.

I know of at least one other product that uses personalities with a zero footprint.

No, I have been advised that 2.11 was the last version to work with the Gateway 4200. 2.2 is for the 4210 apparently and it needs a DOngle!

Regards
Bernt

ericthegeek October 18th, 2009 06:56 PM

The newer versions of the Wybron software do require you to purchase a dongle. You'll have to talk to them for details.

berntd October 18th, 2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthegeek (Post 1759)
The newer versions of the Wybron software do require you to purchase a dongle. You'll have to talk to them for details.

They have confirmed that the newer version CANNOT run on the 4200.
So, no need to get a dongle as it will not work.

I am currently talkin with them about all this.

Regards
Bernt

sblair October 19th, 2009 09:59 PM

That's odd, Eric confirmed this morning that the unit we are using is in fact the 4200 model and we're running v2.2 with it. We did have to get the dongle from them in order to run it though.

Scott

berntd October 19th, 2009 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sblair (Post 1776)
That's odd, Eric confirmed this morning that the unit we are using is in fact the 4200 model and we're running v2.2 with it. We did have to get the dongle from them in order to run it though.

Scott

Interesting :-)
I quote: "Unfortunately, Version 2.2 is not compatible with the 4200 units. "

I find it odd too but that is what they told me.
They are looking into it.

Kind regards
Bernt

sblair October 19th, 2009 10:14 PM

Our unit looks nothing like the 4210. The model # said 4200 on the bottom. Ours is a fraction of the height and much wider. There is no display on it and all the jacks on the back are in single row.

Scott

berntd October 19th, 2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sblair (Post 1783)
Our unit looks nothing like the 4210. The model # said 4200 on the bottom. Ours is a fraction of the height and much wider. There is no display on it and all the jacks on the back are in single row.

Scott

So does mine. Also, there are 9 leds shining through the front.
I 'll have to wait and see what they come up with.

Kind regards
Bernt