E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums

E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums (http://www.rdmprotocol.org/forums/index.php)
-   RDM General Implementation Discussion (http://www.rdmprotocol.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=4)
-   -   Adressing the RDM (http://www.rdmprotocol.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1250)

es_luk October 6th, 2016 07:48 AM

Adressing the RDM
 
Hi,

I am a beginner in technology RDM, I would ask users who boot up large systems as standard RDM:
Eg. Orders 1,000 power "RDM Ready" and mount this in their luminaires.
1. As these power supplies are later identified? Everyone has their own ID and address that can be changed later?
2. After installing such lighting fixtures is that they can identify and where it is placed where it is if you have to evaluate visually?
3. How they are recognized when connected to the RDM controller?
4. Is it possible to create a virtual map of their location?


I'm counting on your help.

sblair October 8th, 2016 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by es_luk (Post 3048)
Hi,

I am a beginner in technology RDM, I would ask users who boot up large systems as standard RDM:
Eg. Orders 1,000 power "RDM Ready" and mount this in their luminaires.
1. As these power supplies are later identified? Everyone has their own ID and address that can be changed later?

All RDM devices have a UID preprogrammed into them that is like a unique electronic serial number. This is how they are discovered by an RDM Controller.

The DMX Address of the device can be changed, but the UID can not.

Quote:

2. After installing such lighting fixtures is that they can identify and where it is placed where it is if you have to evaluate visually?
There is a command you can send to a device for it to visually identify itself.

Quote:

3. How they are recognized when connected to the RDM controller?
The controller goes through a discovery process that finds all the connected RDM devices by their UID.


Quote:

4. Is it possible to create a virtual map of their location?
The controller can discover them all, it is up to whatever controller you are using in how it presents this information to the user.

es_luk October 8th, 2016 04:34 PM

Quote:

There is a command you can send to a device for it to visually identify itself.
Could you tell us more about this? What are the commands?
How do they work?


Quote:

The controller can discover them all, it is up to whatever controller
you are using in how it presents this information to the user.

Whether it is possible to see eg. 1000 luminaires in the form of a matrix with
the exact location of the housing with the UID?

Do you recommend a driver who knew how to do it?
What software you recommend?

sblair October 8th, 2016 07:44 PM

The specific command is IDENTIFY_DEVICE. It is all documented in the standard itself as to how the protocol all works. Every controller presents it differently to the user depending on the design of the UI.

It is possible for a controller to implement it as you suggest, it just depends on the specific controller. I don't have any recommendations on which one to use though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:08 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.