E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM General Implementation Discussion

RDM General Implementation Discussion General Discussion and questions relating to implementing RDM in a product.

Old October 9th, 2014   #1
stefkuhb

Default Second configurable DMX address

Hello everyone,

I am quite new to RDM and I want to know if it is possible to create a second configurable DMX address in a single responder with the current PIDs
I thought about using the DMX personality for this, but i want to use this where it is intended for.
Do i have create a Manufacturer Specific PID?
Or is there a better solution?

What would you recommend?

Kind regards,
Stefkuhb
stefkuhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Stefkhub,

Welcome to the RDM Forums. It depends on the nature of your product but this is what sub-devices were designed to handle. Sub-Devices are generally meant for an array of similar device types.

The classic example of sub-devices would be a dimmer rack where the rack itself is the root device and the dimmer modules are sub-devices. You can then have a DMX Address PID for each of the sub-devices.

Another common example are color scrollers where you have the Power Supply which is the root device and then the scroller heads which are sub-devices.

You can extend this logic to other things that have less physical similarity but just keep in mind what PIDs you support in the root device vs. the sub-device as there are rules that come into play there with declaring the same Supported PIDs list across all the sub-devices.

If you can go into more specifics of the nature of the type of product and the details we might be able to help give you more specific answers for your application.
Old October 9th, 2014   #3
stefkuhb

Sblair,

Thanks for the response!
Most of our products are atmospheric effects: (cryo, flames, ect..)
The second configurable address is for arming the device, to prevent accidental output.

I'm going to read through the E1.20 about sub devices.

Kind regards,
Stefkuhb
stefkuhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2014   #4
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

Why do you need to patch the "Arming" slot separately? Typically this would be included as part of the device's DMX Slot Footprint. For example, on a hazer you might have control slots for
1: pump speed
2: fan speed
3: arming
giving a total DMX Footprint of 3 slots.

If the control and arming slots are on different universes (Separate XLR connectors), then you can use the root device for both, and link them using the "Binding UID" mechanism.

If you do need to patch the arming slot independently on the same universe, then Scott's suggestion to use sub-devices is a good one.

Because this is a public forum, I feel I must remind everyone that DMX and RDM (which is built on top of DMX) are not appropriate for hazardous applications. DMX and RDM have little or no error detection/correction, and the control equipment is typically not up to the quality level required for hazardous uses.
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2014   #5
stefkuhb

Eric,
We wanted to use a separate arming slot to make it possible to arm multiple devices at once.

After some discussion we decided that there will be no second configurable slot, because this could also be achieved by programming/patching in the controller.
Thanks for the advice!

Kind regards,
Old October 22nd, 2014   #6
prwatE120
Task Group Member

Stefkuhb

I think you have made a good decision not to use sub-devices. As you say, the multiple arm slots can be grouped together on the controller as and when required.

What I would however recommend is that you use two adjacent slots for your "arm" control, and require unique but different values for the two slots. This limits the risk of a single fader controller bringing up the slots together and prematurely "arming" your system. You may also wish to ensure that the "arm" slot values are stable for a specific time before taking affect, which helps improve immunity to glitches on the dmx system when cables are plugged in and out.

Peter Willis
prwatE120 is offline   Reply With Quote