E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDMnet (BSR E1.33) Draft Standard General Discussion

RDMnet (BSR E1.33) Draft Standard General Discussion General Discussion and questions concerning the draft E1.33 standard.

Old December 30th, 2011   #1
SeanSill
Task Group Member

Default sACN and IGMP

I was wondering if there was a better place to ask questions about sACN but more importantly I have a few questions about IGMPv3 implementations. Is there a more appropriate place?
SeanSill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2012   #2
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

Not really a better place. This is as good a place as any.

IGMP is a many-splendored beast.
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3rd, 2012   #3
SeanSill
Task Group Member

I am finding out about this beast. I am reading through the rfcs since there isn't a good practical example I've found online that depicts IGMPv3. So as a point of clarification I am a IGMP host and there is a router somewhere.

I'm supporting IGMPv3 but not source specific filtering. So all groups will either be include all, or exclude all at least for now. I may change this in the future.

So if I have received a Group-Specific Query and started its timer then received a Group and Source-Specific Query I am to then to change my report to from a Group-Specific Query to a Group and Source-Specific Query and send at the earlier of the two times correct?

If the above is true then does it work in the opposite way? I receive a Group and Source-Specific Query and then receive a Group-Specific Query I respond at the earlier time of the two with a Group-Specific Query?

Thanks for the help guys!
Old January 3rd, 2012   #4
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

I'm going to be no help here because I've never worked with source specific multicast.

SSM has a dedicated IP range within the multicast address space, and to my knowledge none of the common lighting control protocols are within that range, so you can probably ignore it.
Old January 3rd, 2012   #5
SeanSill
Task Group Member

Ok, I saw mention of the SSM address range in the rfc. That clears up a considerable amount of my work then. In that case I can assume that all I essentially have to deal with is group queries and general queries?
Old January 4th, 2012   #6
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

That's a fair assumption. Most routers will allow you to configure SSM in any address range that you want (outside of the assigned space for SSM), but I've never seen it done.