E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDMnet (BSR E1.33) Draft Standard General Discussion

RDMnet (BSR E1.33) Draft Standard General Discussion General Discussion and questions concerning the draft E1.33 standard.

Old January 11th, 2012   #1
SeanSill
Task Group Member

Default RDMNet Controller

Does anyone currently have a working controller?
SeanSill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012   #2
hamish

Send a message via Skype™ to hamish

Not as yet.

I have the opposing problem in that I require a node, working or in development with which to add RDMNet to our PC based RDM control software.

Any one interested, please PM.
hamish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2012   #3
nomis52
Task Group Member

I have a controller (command line) and device that implement the discovery and rdm transport parts. The port enumeration / configuration part isn't well specified at the moment so I haven't bothered implementing it.

That said, we should be much closer in two weeks time - yeah, that's what I said last time.
nomis52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012   #4
owaits

There is a sample application called RdmSnoop in the C# ACN project I have been working on. It will perform some controller functionality such as searching for nodes and obtaining information about the nodes. It also contains a log of all RDM packets sent and received.

http://acn.codeplex.com

I have been using it to help develop my software as I came across the same obstacle of no controller.

It is very much still under development but I have tested it with my RDMNet implementation and other devices using the ArtNet as the transport.

Hope you find it useful. If you have trouble building it then let me know and I can send you the exe.

Conversely there is another sample called SandboxDevice that simulates a device but it is much less developed.
owaits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2012   #5
SeanSill
Task Group Member

Owaits are you going to be at the London Plugfest?
SeanSill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2012   #6
owaits

Yes I will be there on Thursday, looking forward to it.
Old August 2nd, 2012   #7
yvoloch

HI,

i'm in a process of addiung RDMNet support in our console (Vecotr by Compulite).
do you know of any device or good simluator that truely support RDMNet ?
i was able to work with the sand device from the codeplex project but it has almost nothing in it.

thanks
Yakov
you can send emails to:yakov@compulite.com
yvoloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012   #8
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Yakov,

Technically NOTHING truly supports RDMNet yet as it is still a draft standard that is not yet released! Just last week at the PLASA meetings in NYC we approved the next draft to go out for a 2nd Public Review round. That means it will be available within about a month hopefully for people to download and review and submit comments back to us for further revision.

There are a number of folks that are planning on implementing this 2nd PR draft version in order for us to get some interoperability testing accomplished at our January Plugfest event. There WILL still be changes that will occur to the protocol, but hopefully they will be much less significant in scope compared to the changes we have made between the 1st and 2nd PR drafts.

Let me know if you guys are interested in doing an implementation of the draft version and joining us at the Interoperability Plugfest in January. We would certainly love to have you join us.
Old August 2nd, 2012   #9
yvoloch

Default Do you know if there is an ACN device ?

Hi,

Thanks for your replay.
Do you know of any device that truly support ACN that i can test ?
e.g. i would like that this device will support the DDL so i can get device params.
yvoloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012   #10
owaits

I am happy to update the codeplex project to the 2nd draft edition. Is it possible for me to get my hands on it now?

In response to the original post, the RdmSnoop example has dual support for RdmNet and ArtNet RDM. This is a much more complete implementation of the RDM protocol and so is probably better for testing.

Would also love to be at Plugfest.
Old August 2nd, 2012   #11
nomis52
Task Group Member

yvoloch: As Scott explained, I wouldn't bother doing anything more than SLP from the first draft since so much has changed. Wait for the second draft to come out before working on the message transport.

That said, there is a mostly complete (as per the 2nd draft) E1.33 device here:

http://code.google.com/p/open-lighti...2Ftools%2Fe133

The controller side is pretty functional, it doesn't have the TCP connection mesh though. I plan on implementing that this month so that people have something solid to test with.

Simon
nomis52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 2nd, 2012   #12
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Yakov/Owaits,

I'll send you an email with the draft that was approved by the CPWG for 2nd Public Review since you're trying to code against it. You're both certainly welcome at the January Plugfest (as is anyone else that is interested!). We would really like to get as much experience as we can with implementations of the 2nd draft version so we can fix any issues that come up and hopefully finalize the standard with the 3rd public review.

Yakov, to your question about ACN implementations. There really isn't a lot out there using full ACN (E1.17). From my personal perspective it has mostly become an internal properietary protocol for a few companies (mainly ETC). The effort to make DDL templates for common devices/parameters that would allow true interoperability never got off the ground and there is no current effort being made on it. It's not something that I personally would invest effort into as there is very little out there you would be able to communicate with. That being said, if you are talking about "streaming ACN" (E1.31) then there are quite a few people using it.

Scott