E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDMnet (BSR E1.33) Draft Standard General Discussion

RDMnet (BSR E1.33) Draft Standard General Discussion General Discussion and questions concerning the draft E1.33 standard.

Old January 21st, 2014   #1
AndreasNordbek

Default RDMnet current status

Hi

I'm currently working on a RDM/Ethernet device, and was pointed to this forum by a colleague.

Is there any news about the RDMnet protocol.
what is the current status, is it still in public review?
I can't find anywhere to download the documentation, is it still availible in it's current form?

/Andreas
AndreasNordbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2014   #2
sblair
Administrator

Send a message via AIM to sblair Send a message via MSN to sblair

Andreas,

I just got back from the PLASA meetings this weekend where we were working on this. We are in the process of revising the draft so we can send it out to another Public Review. We are hoping to have it ready in time to vote it out for the next Public Review cycle in late Spring, otherwise it will go out by late Summer.

The most significant change we are working on is to change from Discovery from using SLP to mDNS and DNS-SD.

I can send you the copy of what went out during the previous Public Review cycle if you'd like, but keep in mind a number of things are obviously changing.

Scott
Old March 7th, 2014   #3
AndreasNordbek

Hi

I would very much like a copy of the draft, to get an idea of what going on.
Old March 7th, 2014   #4
sblair
Administrator

The current draft is in the midst of some major re-work. If you give me your email address I can send you the previous Public Review document that went out last year, but there are some significant changes from that version in the works.
Old March 7th, 2014   #5
AndreasNordbek

Okay, I'll keep that in mind

My Email is ano@sgmlight.com

/Andreas
Old December 2nd, 2014   #6
Methi

Same question:
What is the current state of RDMnet?
At the plugfest in London this spring there was a new public review announced (for this year?).

Is mDNS still planned to be used instead of SLP?
Methi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 2nd, 2014   #7
sblair
Administrator

We are hoping to have the next Public Review out near the beginning of the year. We have moved to mDNS/DNS-SD (aka Bonjour) for discovery and have dropped SLP. There's been a substantial amount of time put into working on system scalability, partitioning, and addressing the previous public review comments.
Old January 9th, 2016   #8
mctober

Hi Scott,

Do you have any new information on RDMnet? I'm in the process of writing the third print of a lesson book in the Netherlands and would like to tell something about it..

Thanks in advance!

Mark.
mctober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2016   #9
sblair
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mctober View Post
Hi Scott,

Do you have any new information on RDMnet? I'm in the process of writing the third print of a lesson book in the Netherlands and would like to tell something about it..

Thanks in advance!

Mark.
Hey Mark, what kind of info would you like? We are preparing to send the doc out for another Public Review at the end of this month. We're getting close to completing the Standard and have several companies starting on implementing the current draft version for testing and to see if there's any holes in the document that we need to address.
Old January 11th, 2016   #10
mctober

Hey Scott,

I'm curious how RDM-net works and want to write something about it. I still have enough time, so I'll just wait for the next public review. ;-)

thanks!
Old January 12th, 2016   #11
sblair
Administrator

The draft doc should hit the streets around mid-Feb. Feel free after you get a chance to read through it if you have any questions at all. I'm also happy to help proof-read that section for you, presuming it's in English of course
Old January 13th, 2016   #12
mctober

It's in Dutch, could be a bit difficult for you.. I'll let you know in case I have any questions, thanks a lot!
Old June 22nd, 2016   #13
rodb70

Default RDMNet download public draft

How does one download a copy of the public draft specification? This seems the most recent thread on this.
rodb70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2016   #14
sblair
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodb70 View Post
How does one download a copy of the public draft specification? This seems the most recent thread on this.
It is only published during the Public Review periods which run for 40 days. We just finished the latest Public Review this Spring and are currently working on revising the draft to incorporate the comments that came in. I anticipate that we will likely have the next draft revision ready by the beginning of next year.

Scott
Old March 5th, 2017   #15
dgaller

Hello, any update on this? Looking forward to implementing this and wondering if the spec was completed? Thanks!
dgaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2017   #16
sblair
Administrator

We've been working through the comments, some of which were very broad in scope. We've managed to resolve pretty much all the comments now and are in the process of revising the document to reflect all the changes. We expect to have it out for the next Public Review this Summer.
Old August 11th, 2018   #17
kennioje

Default RDMnet - July 2018 update

Hi,

How's RDMnet getting along? Where is it up to in the standards process & what is the roadmap?

The March 2018 minutes of the CPWG were brief on the subject, but seemed positive and I heard that there were some implementations tested at the EU and Texas plugfests.

Many thanks,
Joe
kennioje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 11th, 2018   #18
sblair
Administrator

Joe,

It looks like we are nearing the final stretch here. The last public review only had about 44 comments which we've been able to resolve without any major architectural changes this time. We are set to be out in Public Review again in September it looks like. Possibly the last PR or close to it.

We had several implementations testing during the Texas Plugfest last month to the draft standard so everything is looking very encouraging.
Old August 11th, 2018   #19
kennioje

Thanks Scott, much appreciated.
kennioje is offline   Reply With Quote