E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums  

Go Back   E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums > RDM Developer Forums > RDM Interpretation Questions

RDM Interpretation Questions Discussion and questions relating to interpreting and understanding the E1.20 RDM Standard.

Old April 2nd, 2014   #1
docsale

Default PRESET_INFO

Hi,

a couple of question about PRESET_INFO PID (responder device side):

1- Does the "Level Field Supported" field affect only PRESET_PLAYBACK message or also DMX_FAIL_MODE, DMX_STARTUP_MODE behaviour?

2- If in DMX_FAIL_MODE i would like support only INFINITE HOLD TIME (so when DMX512 missing i stay in the scene selected in DMX_FAIL_MODE until DMX512 restored), what values should i expose in DMX512 Fail Minimum/Maximum Hold Times Supported?

Thanks everyone

Francesco
docsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014   #2
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsale View Post
1- Does the "Level Field Supported" field affect only PRESET_PLAYBACK message or also DMX_FAIL_MODE, DMX_STARTUP_MODE behaviour?
If you strictly follow the text, it only applies to PRESET_PLAYBACK. In general, I think a responder that supports the level feature for PRESET_PLAYBACK is also likely to support level for DMX_FAIL_MODE and DMX_STARTUP_MODE, but it's not required.

Quote:
Originally Posted by docsale View Post
2- If in DMX_FAIL_MODE i would like support only INFINITE HOLD TIME (so when DMX512 missing i stay in the scene selected in DMX_FAIL_MODE until DMX512 restored), what values should i expose in DMX512 Fail Minimum/Maximum Hold Times Supported?
That's a good question. I guess the best option is to set the "DMX512 Fail Infinite Hold Time Supported" flag and use 0xFFFF for both Min and Max. Some controllers might interpret that as "Not Supported", but I don't see any other options.
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014   #3
docsale

Thanks Eric (guess it's your name...). I totally agree with your answare. In general I like E1.37-1 but I think there are some points that need a better explanation!!!
docsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2014   #4
ericthegeek
Task Group Member

True, there are definitely corner cases (like the one you describe) where it's not always clear what the right choice is.

When you have questions, always feel free to post them. There may not be a perfect answer sometimes, but we'll try to point you in the right direction.

(Yes, my name is Eric...)
ericthegeek is offline   Reply With Quote