View Single Post
Old February 25th, 2011   #16
tim_ecue

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthegeek View Post
Realistically we can't use that as an argument. We have to assume that there are RDM products we've never even heard of in far off lands whose language we can't speak and who've implemented RDM totally independently. They've never talked to a task group member, and probably don't even know the task group exists.

It's tempting to say "We don't know about anyone who does this, so we can change it without consequence". But we have to assume anything that can be done has been done.
Hi Eric,

In general I would fully agree as standards need to be trustworthy. Still, this is a clarification, not a change. Furthermore, for this particular one I see little harm done for existing devices, but a great potential to fix a very critical issue. In the worst case, the control software will miss a test name. Still, since the parameter is not mandatory, it should anyway offer a way to trigger the test directly by number, so it should be still available for the user.

I am not sure if You truly recognize how bad this one really is. You have to keep in mind that we usually deal with very large installations that may have thousands to hundreds of thousands RDM fixtures. In practice this particular issue typically reduces performance (at least in the initial full examination of the fixture, which is crucial) for a fixture supporting that parameter to about 10% of what it would be if the numbers where consecutively ordered.

Since even without this catastrophic scenario slow performance is the major complaint customers have about RDM, this problem just breaks its neck because it makes it worse by a full order of magnitude. Our customers in the past have made it very clear, that poor RDM performance is a major reason for still using and even developing proprietary technology in place of RDM despite RDM being already available to them!

Best,
Tim
tim_ecue is offline   Reply With Quote