E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums

E1.20 RDM (Remote Device Management) Protocol Forums (http://www.rdmprotocol.org/forums/index.php)
-   RDMnet (BSR E1.33) Draft Standard General Discussion (http://www.rdmprotocol.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=20)
-   -   RDMnet current status (http://www.rdmprotocol.org/forums/showthread.php?t=1187)

AndreasNordbek January 21st, 2014 06:33 AM

RDMnet current status

Hi

I'm currently working on a RDM/Ethernet device, and was pointed to this forum by a colleague.

Is there any news about the RDMnet protocol.
what is the current status, is it still in public review?
I can't find anywhere to download the documentation, is it still availible in it's current form?

/Andreas

sblair January 21st, 2014 11:47 AM

Andreas,

I just got back from the PLASA meetings this weekend where we were working on this. We are in the process of revising the draft so we can send it out to another Public Review. We are hoping to have it ready in time to vote it out for the next Public Review cycle in late Spring, otherwise it will go out by late Summer.

The most significant change we are working on is to change from Discovery from using SLP to mDNS and DNS-SD.

I can send you the copy of what went out during the previous Public Review cycle if you'd like, but keep in mind a number of things are obviously changing.

Scott

AndreasNordbek March 7th, 2014 08:00 AM

Hi

I would very much like a copy of the draft, to get an idea of what going on.

sblair March 7th, 2014 11:38 AM

The current draft is in the midst of some major re-work. If you give me your email address I can send you the previous Public Review document that went out last year, but there are some significant changes from that version in the works.

AndreasNordbek March 7th, 2014 12:54 PM

Okay, I'll keep that in mind :)

My Email is ano@sgmlight.com

/Andreas

Methi December 2nd, 2014 02:42 AM

Same question:
What is the current state of RDMnet?
At the plugfest in London this spring there was a new public review announced (for this year?).

Is mDNS still planned to be used instead of SLP?

sblair December 2nd, 2014 11:58 AM

We are hoping to have the next Public Review out near the beginning of the year. We have moved to mDNS/DNS-SD (aka Bonjour) for discovery and have dropped SLP. There's been a substantial amount of time put into working on system scalability, partitioning, and addressing the previous public review comments.

mctober January 9th, 2016 05:38 AM

Hi Scott,

Do you have any new information on RDMnet? I'm in the process of writing the third print of a lesson book in the Netherlands and would like to tell something about it.. :cool:

Thanks in advance!

Mark.

sblair January 10th, 2016 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mctober (Post 2979)
Hi Scott,

Do you have any new information on RDMnet? I'm in the process of writing the third print of a lesson book in the Netherlands and would like to tell something about it.. :cool:

Thanks in advance!

Mark.

Hey Mark, what kind of info would you like? We are preparing to send the doc out for another Public Review at the end of this month. We're getting close to completing the Standard and have several companies starting on implementing the current draft version for testing and to see if there's any holes in the document that we need to address.

mctober January 11th, 2016 01:24 PM

Hey Scott,

I'm curious how RDM-net works and want to write something about it. I still have enough time, so I'll just wait for the next public review. ;-)

thanks!

sblair January 11th, 2016 11:06 PM

The draft doc should hit the streets around mid-Feb. Feel free after you get a chance to read through it if you have any questions at all. I'm also happy to help proof-read that section for you, presuming it's in English of course :)

mctober January 13th, 2016 02:05 AM

It's in Dutch, could be a bit difficult for you.. ;) I'll let you know in case I have any questions, thanks a lot!

rodb70 June 22nd, 2016 08:01 AM

RDMNet download public draft

How does one download a copy of the public draft specification? This seems the most recent thread on this.

sblair June 22nd, 2016 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rodb70 (Post 3023)
How does one download a copy of the public draft specification? This seems the most recent thread on this.

It is only published during the Public Review periods which run for 40 days. We just finished the latest Public Review this Spring and are currently working on revising the draft to incorporate the comments that came in. I anticipate that we will likely have the next draft revision ready by the beginning of next year.

Scott

dgaller March 5th, 2017 02:29 PM

Hello, any update on this? Looking forward to implementing this and wondering if the spec was completed? Thanks!

sblair March 5th, 2017 06:27 PM

We've been working through the comments, some of which were very broad in scope. We've managed to resolve pretty much all the comments now and are in the process of revising the document to reflect all the changes. We expect to have it out for the next Public Review this Summer.

kennioje August 11th, 2018 02:09 PM

RDMnet - July 2018 update

Hi,

How's RDMnet getting along? Where is it up to in the standards process & what is the roadmap?

The March 2018 minutes of the CPWG were brief on the subject, but seemed positive and I heard that there were some implementations tested at the EU and Texas plugfests.

Many thanks,
Joe

sblair August 11th, 2018 03:12 PM

Joe,

It looks like we are nearing the final stretch here. The last public review only had about 44 comments which we've been able to resolve without any major architectural changes this time. We are set to be out in Public Review again in September it looks like. Possibly the last PR or close to it.

We had several implementations testing during the Texas Plugfest last month to the draft standard so everything is looking very encouraging.

kennioje August 11th, 2018 03:18 PM

Thanks Scott, much appreciated.